Saturday, January 26, 2013

Super Easy Taco Pie Perfect For A Movie Night

It was Friday yesterday. Friday is the only day in our rugged, untraditional way of life, that has it´s iron rules. Not only is it a maintenance day at the kennel, but it became famous for it´s Friday Pizza and Movie Nights.

All our dog handlers and kennel help, but also guests and visitors, who happened to stay over night on Friday, have witnessed it.

Our kennel crew swears by the Friday Pizza and Movie night and no matter how late we all manage to get to the living room after a busy day, we always long for this social event.

Yesterday, I skipped the tradition slightly as I made a super easy-piesy version of a taco pie. What has gotten into me? Well, I went shopping with my friend and neighbor (no, you don´t remember wrong, we do live remote and have basically no neighbors, but anyone living along "our" road, is considered neighbor, be it five or twenty five miles away).

But back to the pie. So we went shopping and we smelled this amazing aroma. There was a demo chef, baking this taco pie in the grocery store and we immediately rushed to taste it. I usually never bother buying any of the stuff that´s been promoted during these demos (I know, how rude of me), but this time, I had a bag of cheese tortilla chips in my shopping basket before I knew it. And a jar of salsa too, along with the printed recipe.

It was just awesome and we devoured it so fast that I totally forgot to take pictures for the blog post, so I borrowed them from the original recipe on the super market´s website: www.ica.se.

So without further due, here is the recipe:

Super Easy TACO PIE

Serves 4 portions

1 onion
500g (1lb) minced beef (I used moose meat)
2 tbs oil
1 40g bag of taco spice mix (or 2-3 tbs)
1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes or salsa
100g grated cheese
1 cup light sour creme
150g tortilla chips or nachos
  • set oven on 180°C
  • chop onion and fry with oil and meat on pan
  • mix in spices and tomatoes or salsa, add a bit of water and let cook for 5 minutes
  • put the ready sauce in a baking dish
  • blend together grated cheese and sour creme and evenly spread over the meat sauce
  • toss tortialla or nacho chips over as a third layer and put in over
  • bake for 15 minutes
You can serve it with fresh salad and I highly recommend - with beer! :)

Enjoy!

Wanna try this recipe? Let me know how it went and how your friends and family liked it! Would love to hear from you.

No comments: